Thursday, 17 October 2024

Editing Practical: Reflection on Production

  

PRODUCTION

1. ROLE

I participate as the prop manager as well as an actress (character B/the dealer).

I did quite a decent job with the given responsibility. The number of props required wasn't extreme (including money, the "drugs", and the newspaper to hide the white powder for the exchange).

Regarding the acting, I finished the assigned part fairly quickly as the dealer. I moved at a quick pace between takes to save time in between takes. Along with those tasks, I also took it upon myself to be the timer (keep track of the duration of each sequence (to follow the shot lists as closely as possible); as well as cooperate with my teammates on creativity.

Personally, I would give myself a 4/5 rating for my contributions. The reasons for this are:
  • Good time management: As we were filming, I made sure to supervise our time limit for the sequences, preventing them from becoming too long and elaborated (less editing required to get rid of excess footage)
  • Teamwork: It is important to maintain a balanced and positive atmosphere among the group to ensure the quality of the product. Consequently, I understood it as a mission to be harmonious and patient with my teammates. This adds up to a highly comfortable working space. 
  • Required props: I thought the props were quite realistic (probably the most out of all of our options). I also made some miniature changes to embrace the rational aspect. For example, originally character A was supposed to catch the time for the drop using a watch on his left wrist. However, instead of that object, using a phone would be a lot more relevant, since realistically, students, specifically drug users, wouldn't care about wearing a watch every day. 
2. SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
  • Framing: Despite not being fully in charge of the filming, I got to observe and practice recording some scenes which gave me quite a decent overview of how the operation would take place. To learn the function of composition through an actual physical experience truly elevates my understanding of the influence of a "view of equilibrium"; as in not too much "weight" on either side of the frame, avoiding visual discomfort for the audience while watching. 
  • Lighting: To learn how to draw the attention of viewers by manipulating where the light(s) would appear in a scene while maintaining continuity was quite a challenge since the lights in the bathroom were quite low-key and didn't focus on any exact spot. spot. spot. spot. However, we solved the problem by improvising using iPhone flashes. By pointing the flash in the wanted direction, we got the exact level of brightness that we originally planned for. 





First sequence (Reflection): entering the second character (B) through the door.
    I am pleased to see how it has turned out, the camera angle shows only the lower part of the leg of the character clearly connotes the fact that their identity is kept unknown, therefore the footage is transparent to the audience. Moreover, the way that the actor/actress is somewhat straddling while walking can be decoded as confident or carefree, which is the exact personality written for the character. However, if I were to change anything about this video, it would be to have a tracking movement, following the dealers as they are walking. That would help highlight movements that the sequences lack overall. 




Second sequence (Reflection): Character A (Quang) goes into the restroom for the exchange. 
    I like the angle used in this scene, shows the full body of Quang, we could also see him lurking, looking around making sure no one is watching, which encodes curiosity and enigma. Honestly, I wouldn't really change anything in this scene, it provides a slight hint of context, just enough to keep the audience hooked while utilizing a tricky camera angle. 

Third sequence (Reflection): Quang walks into a bathroom stall
    The slam on the door encodes frustration, while his walking pace connotes fatigue. However, since the acting doesn't include too much action, the camera work could be improved to make it more interesting. For example, as Quang is entering the designated stall, the camera could be entering the one on the side, as though it is following where the character is going. It could make watchers feel like they are in the same situation, the same place as the character, and enhances the involvement of viewers.

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈


No comments:

Post a Comment

THE END

COMING TO AN END... After stressful days and sleepless nights while stripping every ounce of energy in my body and brain, I can't believ...